Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Hornady Lock-N-Load LED Light Strip




With the bench project behind me, I've started cranking up the XL650 and trying to catch back up on the ammo stock I ran down the weeks I had my shop torn up.    A few sessions at the bench, had me thinking I needed a bit more light and this seemed to fit the bill.

The purpose is to put a bit of light into the press so you can clearly view the case and the amount of powder.   

The Hornady actually comes with a six light strip, which didn't fit for my needs.  I wanted just a 3 light, but it's easy enough to cut the strip at the marked location and get a half size strip.   A scissors did the trick.

With the light on, you can clearly see the bottom of the case and powder level.  I selected the location I did, for the simple reason that I didn't want the LED light shining in my eyes.  



The mounting of the light was a mixed bag.   The wiring routed easily down the upright post for the case feeder.  A few zip ties were all it took to keep the cable out of the way.

The only failure is the sticky on the back of the light strip.  Even with doing quality surface prep with an alcohol wipe, it failed to stick.  A little double sided tape and it was locked down.



9 comments:

  1. Interesting but why blue lighting for the strip led

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just an optical illusion from the blue of the press being picked up. It's a pure white light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice and informational news you have shared through this blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love to read out your blog, i guess you have made huge researches about led strip light kits and led lights. keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this. Led lights has always been my favorite in case of lighting the outdoors. I am planning to renovate the interior lighting of my home through led strips from Oz led Lighting. But I am bit confused between Led strips,pucks and under cabinet lights.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice progressive press. Will get me one of those one day (I'm using a Lee turret at this point). Will probably go for the Hornady too. Thanks for the article.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post. I am using Dillon XL 650 and thinking about to setup an LED into my progressive press.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Azdak
    Great post for me .It's really helpful and informative.
    Thanks for sharing your experience

    ReplyDelete
  9. good post but why you are using blue light?

    ReplyDelete